Directions: The questions here test your knowledge of English grammar. Each question consists of a short written conversation, part of which has been omitted.
Four words or phrases, labelled 1, 2, 3, and 4, are given below the conversation. Choose the word or phrase that will correctly complete the conversation. Click on the answer you think is correct.
1. "You are welcome to order the goods now."
"But payment should be made _____."
2. "Where do you live now?"
"I live in Utah; my _____."
|parents too do|
|parents do, too|
|parents also do|
3. I cannot understand my neighbour's accent. I wish she would _____.
|more clearly speak|
|speak more clearly|
4. "Why are you driving so fast?"
|must be hurry|
|in a hurry|
5. I have your music CD. I think I _____ your concert video.
6. I hear you have started a new job. _____ like it?
|How do you|
|What do you|
7. I really have to go now. I have _____ the doctor.
|an appointment to|
|an appointment with|
8. I can meet you at Central Station. Will _____?
|convenient for you|
|that be convenient|
|you be convenient|
9. I don't have any results for you today. I _____ tomorrow.
|may have any|
|may have some|
10. I would rather _____ a quiet cup of coffee in the office than sit in a noisy cafe.
|prefer to have|
11. "Where _____ last weekend?"
"I went to see my aunt and uncle."
|are you go|
|do you go|
|have you went|
|did you go|
12. I was very surprised _____ that she didn't pass the exam."
13. "Why _____ she isn't speaking to us?"
"We must have done something that upset her. She is just too sensitive."
|are you think|
|are you imagine|
|do you think|
14. I hope that this winter won't be _____ last."
|as cold as|
|so cold as|
|as cold like|
|so cold like|
15. Sorry to be late. I was delayed by _____."
|a heavy traffic|
|some heavy traffic|
|traffic being heavy|
16. The sky is getting dark. It _____ rain is on its way.
17. Would you do me a small favour? I _____ very much.
|would be appreciative|
|would appreciate it|
18. I am familiar with that product. I don't know _____ times I've seen it advertised on TV.
19. "When _____ leaving for Toronto, Canada?"
"We are planning to set out at 10 o'clock."
20. I asked Robert when he could fix my leaking tap. He said that he would come round and fix it _____.
|as much as possible|
|as possible as he could|
|as fast as he could possibly|
|as soon as possible|
21. "Do you know _____ that building is?"
"I would say that it was built at least 100 years ago."
22. The man told us that the next train would arrive _____.
|at three thirty|
|at three thirty o'clock|
|in three thirty|
|in three thirty o'clock|
23. "How _____ a crowd had gathered at the scene of the accident?"
"I don't know exactly, but there were a lot of shocked onlookers."
24. That is the city _____ worst crime record.
25. "Where should I put this key?"
"You can _____ it on the shelf."