I. Incomplete Dialogue
Questions 16 to 30: Choose the most appropriate answer to complete each dialogue.
- Dio: "My computer was infected by a new virus last week."
Lia: "Oh. How did it happen?"
Dio: "I copied some files from my friend’s flash disk before scanning it."
Lia: "You shouldn’t have been as careless as that. ...."
Dio: "I know. Thanks for your advice."
- You should buy a new flash disk.
- You didn’t scan the flash disk.
- You should scan flash disks before opening them.
- There’s no use in scanning your friend’s flash disk.
- Operator: "Good morning. May I help you?"
Man: "Good morning. May I speak with Mr. Jones, the Personnel Manager?"
Man: "This is Tim from the shipping company."
- Who do you want to meet, Sir?
- May I know who is calling, please?
- Who do you want to speak to?
- How do I know your name?
- Pram: "Do you still remember when we went to the city park in the rain?"
Tini: "Oh, how would I forget that? ... and we soon got soaking wet walking in the rain."
- We brought an umbrella
- We would bring an umbrella
- We have no umbrella with us
- We had no umbrella with us
- Yuli: "My younger brother is going to have a birthday party on Saturday afternoon. ...?"
Lina: "Well, I don’t think I can. I have to go to Jakarta this weekend."
Yuni: "It’s OK. Never mind."
- Would you like to come?
- May I ask you about it?
- What are you doing on Saturday?
- How would you go to Jakarta?
- Heru: "I’m going to a party, Dad. …?"
Father: "I’m sorry. You haven’t got a driver’s license, have you?"
- Shall I use your car?
- May I use your car?
- Will I use your car?
- Must I use your car?
- Customer: "Excuse me. I bought this shirt yesterday. But when I tried it on, ...."
Shopkeeper: "No problem at all. We will replace it with a larger size. May I see the receipt, Sir?"
- It was too big
- It was too small
- It looked great
- It was big enough for me
- Ria: "Have you decided what to order?"
Della : "No, I haven’t made up my mind. Anything to suggest?"
Della: "Good idea. I need something to quench my thirst."
- Can we have soft drink?
- Why don’t we have some soup?
- What about having fried chicken?
- How about some pizza?
- Joko: "I’d like to book a room, please."
Hotel Clerk : "Certainly, Sir. ...."
Joko: "On Saturday, January 14th."
- When would you like to stay?
- When will you be available?
- Would you like a single or a double?
- How long are you going to stay?
- Onny: "I just don’t understand why people smoke cigarettes."
Pika: "Neither do I. Smoking ruins our health."
Onny: "Yes. It’s also a waste of money. They will be able to save much money if ...."
- they stopped smoking
- they will stop smoking
- they had stopped smoking
- they stop smoking
- Lusi: "Nine people were killed in a car accident last night. How awful."
Widya: ".... I wish people would drive carefully."
- They deserved it.
- It sounds like a good idea.
- That’s too bad.
- I’m happy to hear that.
- Man: "Excuse me. ... to the post office, please?"
Woman: "Walk along this street and turn left at the first junction. Then, turn right at the first crossroad. It’s on your right."
- How far is it
- Could you tell me the way
- How long does it take to go
- Where can I go
- Helmi: "Do you often take public transportation to work?"
Rika: "No. But when I was in high school, ...."
- I used to take a bus everyday
- I will take a bus everyday
- I take a bus everyday
- I was going to take a bus everyday
- Receptionist: "Good morning. May I help you?"
Caller: "... a table for two for tomorrow night."
Receptionist: "Certainly, Sir. May I have your name, please?"
- I want to buy
- I’d like you to reserve a table
- I’d like to book a table
- I want you to book a table
- Rima: "... for her to forgive me?"
Edo: "If you ask for an apology, I am sure she will forgive you."
Rima: "I hope so."
- Will she give possibility
- Is she sure
- Is it certainly
- Will it be possible
- Teddy: "What’s your plan after graduating from Vocational school?"
Ruli: "If my parents have enough money, ... at the tourism college."
- I am continuing my study
- I will continue my study
- I would continue my study
- I will have continued my study
II. Error Recognition
Questions 31 to 36: Choose the most appropriate answer to correct the errors in the sentences below.
- Sita: "Look! Those leather bags (A) are beautiful. Which one do you (B) like best?"
Umi: "The brown and the black one are beautiful. But the brown one has (C) better quality leather than the black one."
Sita: "I agree with you. But it’s (D) most expensive than the black one."
- like better
- the best quality
- more expensive
- Andi: "Do you know the woman (A) whom is sitting next to Ms. Hera?"
Cita: "(B) The one with glasses and long hair? (C) Is she the new English teacher?"
Andi: "Yes, she is. She (D) has just moved from Surabaya."
- The ones
- Was she
- had just moved
- Operator: "Good morning. (A) May I help you?"
Caller: "Good morning. (B) Should I get the number for PT. Langgeng Jaya?"
Operator: "I’m sorry, Sir. We don’t have a (C) listing (D) under that name."
- Can I
- May I
- Cameroon is a West African country of ten million people (A) which has been very successful in growing food for (B) it people, unlike many other West African countries. Since 1971, it has (C) doubled its output of major foodstuffs
- (D) such
- which have been
- its people
- so as
- Kiki: "(A) Why were you late this morning?"
Ima: "I’m sorry. My motorcycle (B) wouldn’t start, so I (C) had to go by public transportation."
Kiki: "If you had arrived earlier, you (D) would meet the new supervisor."
- Why are
- won’t start
- have to
- would have met
- Wati: "I (A) heard some bad news about you several weeks ago. (B) Was it true?"
Rini: "Yes, my laptop (C) was stolen while I was sleeping in my boarding room."
Wati: "Oh, I am (D) glad to hear that."
- Is it
- is stolen
Questions 37 – 50: Choose the best answer A, B, C, or D to each question.
Questions 37-39 refer to the following letter
|From: John Howard [firstname.lastname@example.org]|
To: J. Wilson [email@example.com]
Sent: Wednesday, March 7th, 2012
Sub: Elena Kuzikov, Ukrainian engineer
Dr. Elena Kuzikov will be visiting our company on Monday, March 12th. I would like you to prepare a program for her. She will arrive in the morning before noon. Please start with lunch in the cafeteria and then show her your department. Like you, she has done research on the effects of earthquakes on bridge construction.
- Who will be the visitor’s guide?
- J. Wilson
- Elena Kuzikov
- John Howard
- A company visitor
- When will she arrive?
- Before 12:00
- At noon
- After lunch
- In the evening
- What is her chief area of interest?
- Designing bridges
- Eating lunch
- Touring the department
Questions 40-41 refer to the following schedule.
- What event is scheduled for the fourth week of the month?
- Secretary’s Day
- A company picnic
- Founder’s Day
- A board meeting
- How often is the trade show held?
Questions 42-44 refer to the following text.
1807, Noah Webster began his greatest work, An American Dictionary of
the English Language. In preparing the manuscript, he devoted ten years
to the study of English and its relationship to other languages, and
seven more years to the writing itself.|
Published in two volumes in 1828, An American Dictionary of the English Language has become the recognized authority for usage in the United States. Webster’s purpose in writing it was to demonstrate that the American language was developing distinct meanings, pronunciations, and spellings from those of British English. He is responsible for advancing simplified spelling forms: develop instead of develope; plow instead of plough; jail instead of gaol; theater and center instead of theatre and centre; color and honor instead of colour and honour.
- When was An American Dictionary of the English Language published?
- How long did it take Webster to finish the work?
- 7 years
- 10 years
- 17 years
- 21 years
- According the the text, which one of the following spellings would Webster have approved in his dictionaries?
Questions 45-47 refer to the following information.
- The safety information should be done to. . .
- Protect safety procedures indicated on TV.
- Operate in an extremely high voltages.
- Prevent fire or electric shock.
- Service the personal only.
- What is the aim of the text?
- To explain how to service Akari TV.
- To explain safety manufacture of Akari TV.
- To explain safe operation of Akari color TV.
- To explain how to install Akari TV.
- “For environmental and safety reasons, it is recommended that the TV set ....”
What is the synonym of the word “recommended” above?
Questions 48-50 refer to the following advertisement.
- What is being advertised?
- A car dealer
- A luxury specification
- A car manufacturer
- The advertisement contains the following information, except….
- The prices of the cars.
- Contact information.
- The car’s country of origin.
- Car specifications
- What is meant by “No frills price” in the above advertisement?
- The car price is expensive.
- The car price is reasonable.
- The car price is not worth it.
- The car price is valuable.